Aquaman CakeMarch 18, 2013
I know you read the title and thought, “Oh, Amanda must have an eight year old son who just had a birthday!” but you’re wrong. I have a brother-in-law who just turned 30 and needed an awesome cake! That’s right! When my sister turned 29 she got a Hello Kitty cake and when her husband turned 30 he got Aquaman. I love those two!
When Melissa first approached me about the cake I did a quick search. The cakes that exist with an Aquaman theme are quite ornate and over the top. It was entirely too much to take on so I decided to go with a different approach. I knew I needed to use his colors and symbol and incorporate water. Instead of using fondant, I decided to go with a buttercream frosting using a star-tip for decor.
1. Bake 2 nine inch cakes. This time around I used silicon pans to help with level cakes. (I was too lazy to take out my leveling strips.)
2. Once the cakes are baked and cooled, I glaze each cake with an apricot glaze. (I use apricot preserves melted down in a saucepan.)
3. This is where you make your favorite buttercream icing. I make a full recipe of my favorite from the link above. This is ample to crumb coat the cake and do a decorative design (see below).
4. I used yellow, green, and orange to dye my icing. I estimated how much of each color icing I would need for my specific Aquaman design and it worked out perfectly!
5. In regards to my design specifically. I was commissioned to make an Aquaman cake with no other specific direction. I had to do some research to learn more about this animated figure I knew nothing about. After much research I decided on the logo of Aquaman.
6. Of course, you’ll notice the super awesome guy in a speedo adorning the cake. I wanted to find an Aquaman action figure, but those aren’t easy to come by or get quickly so when I saw speedo man, I knew I had a winner! (I also applied some gold edible dust over the logo to help it seem super!)
Happy Birthday, Happy Cakes, and Happy Cake Topper!