Texas Independence Day!March 2, 2012
It’s not just a state, it’s a whole state of mind!
Happy Texas Independence Day to y’all!
Today is a wonderful day to be in Texas! Besides Independence Day, it’s also Texas Flag Day and Sam Houston Day! I hope you wore your boots, hat, or pearl snap shirt today to celebrate!
A few facts you may not know about Texas:
- There is only one natural lake in the state of Texas: Lake Caddo
- The Texas state folk dance is the square dance.
- Texas declared independence from Mexico today 176 years ago! (Read the Declaration of Independence here: https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/treasures/republic/declare-01.html
- Texas officially won independence from Mexico after the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21st which only lasted 18 minutes.
- Sam Houston was the first elected President of the Republic of Texas.
- Mirabeau B. Lamar is considered the “Father of Education in Texas” and was also a president of the Republic.
- Six flags have flown over Texas: France, Spain, Mexico, Texas, Confederacy, United States of America
Oh, and Texas Exes, don’t forget to break bread today to honor the institution that made your education possible.