I have been looking forward to this post for a while now, but had to keep it top secret because it was a gift. Now that the gift has been given, I want to share it with you.
My sister-in-law is a big Disney fan and got engaged at Cinderella’s castle at Disney world! She is having a baby girl in the very near future. I wanted to make something sweet for her room and decided on a hand painted wooden sign with my favorite Disney quote, “A dream is a wish makes when you’re fast asleep.”
1. I started with a fence board and drew out triangle on either end to prepare for the jigsaw. (This was actually my first jigsaw project, but like I said before, it was top secret!)
2. I painted the finished shape with a beautiful grey paint. Once it dried, I sanded it down a bit to age the finish.
3. I decided to hand write the sign so I began with a sharpie and wrote out the whole quote.
4. After the sharpie layer was complete, I went over with a paint pen to give it layers and a more finished look. (notice the color change as well)
5. I taped off the triangles with masking tape to ease the cut and using the jigsaw, cut out the shape.
6. Finally I covered the sign in a polyurethane to help protect it against the elements (though it will be indoors).
I hope the sign brings peace to my soon-to-be sweet baby niece as she sleeps and dreams in her crib.