Stitch in Time: ProgressMarch 14, 2013
We find ourselves at a good time to update the antique family quilt progress. A couple weeks ago I went out and made some purchases of supplies to help mend the quilt.
What I bought:
-4 yards of natural muslin
-Heat N Bond
-pink fabric to match
-Orchid fabric to match
-1930s replica fabric for dresses
I instantly washed the muslin to take out any sizing that might be in it and dried it without a fabric softener. I don’t want any chemicals to damage the original fabric the muslin will be touching.
Then I trimmed the quilt. It was scary to think about cutting this beautiful old quilt, but I know it’s for the best. I channeled the thoughts of the original quilters and how much they would want their quilt to be preserved and last even longer.
Once I cut the fabric off, I could tell the original color of the fabric isn’t as pink as I thought it would be. It appears to be a shade of purple-pink rather than solid pink. I ordered some 1930s replica solid fabric off the web in both Orchid and pink. The orchid is perfect to the original fabric color. I have decided to use it in to bring to life the original color scheme.
The next step I took was to remove the little girls who were damaged or needed to be completely replaced. Below you can see some images of removing the girls.
I knew each girl was well stitched by the detail and precision of the black blanket appliqué stitching, but once that was removed, I found each girl was sewn down delicately and so well it was hard to find the stitches.
The other neat part about cutting apart the quilt was to find the original, unchanged colors in the fabrics. One little girl’s dress looks like red bubbles, only to uncover there were originally blue dots in each red bubble!
Here are a few images of the quilt in it’s current cut apart state.
I’ll update soon as the quilt begins to return to a complete state!