I made something delicious the other day and I’m excited to share it with you. Eggplant was on sale at the grocery store so I decided to find a recipe to try. I tend to replace lasagna noodles with eggplant in a casserole dish, so this time I decided to replace them in the form of lasagna rolls. I found the recipe here and adapted it to what ingredients I had in my kitchen. Here’s what I did:
-2 medium eggplant
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-Ground Beef (1 lb, but 2 would be just as good)
-Spaghetti Sauce (2 jars)
1. Slice the eggplant into long skinny slices, lay on a baking sheet, brush lightly with oil and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, until soft.
2. Cook ground beef (or turkey) and season with italian spices. Mix spaghetti sauce with ground beef and heat together.
3. Mix ricotta, asiago, kale, and parsley. I did not measure any of these ingredients because I was finishing what I had in the fridge. I probably used 12 oz of ricotta, 1 to 2 cups of kale, and 1/2 cup of parsley. Once mixed, set aside until eggplant has cooled.
4. In a greased casserole dish, pour a small amount of meat sauce in the bottom. Just enough to cover.
5. Take a slice of eggplant and scoop about a tablespoon of cheese and greens mixture onto one end. Roll up eggplant so it makes a complete roll. Place eggplant roll joint down in the dish. Repeat until dish is full (or you run out of ingredients).
6. Pour rest of meat sauce over eggplant rolls. Add extra cheese for a nice crust.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes covered. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes.
Sadly, I didn’t take a picture. We ate them so fast! They are really delicious. What’s your favorite eggplant recipe?