I hope you’re doing well on this beautiful day. I have been working so hard on crafts, I almost hate going to work I want to stay home and craft the days away. This blog posts brings us back to the beautiful family quilt I am working on. I recently saw the following quote and it really stood out to me regarding this quilt and so many other parts of life:
A family stitched together with love seldom unravels.
I think it’s such a beautiful statement tying love, families, and traditions together. This quilt is a piece of a family and tells it’s unique story unlike any other quilt. I have learned more about my in-laws since I received the quilt to fix and continue to learn as this process continues.
In this post I want to outline the details of the quilt before me. There are, sadly, lots of pieces that need repair. I am including a few close up photos as well as descriptions of the damage. I’ll explain my game plan and then we’ll see how true to that I stay in my actual repairs.
Quilt close up
This image is a close up of some of the Sueboonet Sue girls. These are in better condition than some of the others, but you can see the tattered edge of the quilt. I plan to trim the binding off the whole quilt and replace it with a new, similar binding. This makes me very nervous, but in order for the quilt to maintain it’s durability and integrity.
Quilt damage Sue Bonnet Sue
SueBonnet Sue Close up
These little girls are a little more tattered and torn than some of the others. You can see slits in their dresses or tears and holes. I hope to not be forced to remove any of the little girls from their squares. I do not want to loose the beauty of the hand applique created by the wonderful quilters who made this quilt. My goal is to buy fusible interfacing to slip under the dresses and then iron them in place. I know this may not be the perfect solution because it could potentially lead to discoloration down the line, but since the quilt is going to be laid on a bed and kept for memories, I think it’s better to keep the fabric already used and try to conserve it as much as possible.
The hole in the middle of the quilt is my biggest (literally and figuratively) problem to fix. It appears to be a pretty straight set of tears, which I assume came from years of being folded in the same shape. I think my strategy is going to be to also use fusible interfacing here. I may need to patch the back of the quilt through the batting with a muslin patch just over the hole along with the fusible interfacing. I am not sure what the quilt will look like with just this done so there is a chance I want to replace the pink between the squares in the space that is torn. This will reinforce the joints between the little girls.
As for the back of this quilt, I think I have decided against washing and drying it. Since laying it out, the smell has dissipated and I do not want to cause any additional damage. I will buy a piece of fabric large enough (or piece together) to cover the back of the quilt, with the new binding. I will attach this fabric to the quilt without disturbing the face of the quilt and original stitches. This step is really to keep up durability of the quilt and help it last just that much longer.
I’ll have to reassess at that point what other steps I need to take, but I think that covers the bulk of the repairs I believe I need to make. I do think I will need to patch any hand stitched applique that may no longer be in place.
I can’t wait to see what it looks like after all these steps are completed!
Happy Quilt Repairing!